While we remain committed to providing Roberta Kuhn Center offerings to our friends in the Dubuque community 55 or greater, the current global pandemic and local positive cases make it impossible to safely resume in-person classes at this time.
The following classes will meet in a virtual format for the fall semester:
- Beginning, Basic, and Advanced Yoga with Deb May
- Chair Yoga with Nancy Thompson
- Deepening Compassion/Exploring Worldviews with Marci Blum, OSF
- Dubuque: Voices from the Past with David Vanderah and Bud Geyer
- Great Discussions with Dave Roberts
- Healthy Aging with Bob Dunn
- Incredible (re)Discoveries with Joan Lingen, BVM
- Music Medley with Nancy Lease
- Poetry Appreciation with Jane Northrup
- Sacred Universe with Meg Gemar, OSF
- Tai Chi with C. Jean Hayen, BVM
Some guidance will be shared via email for those who would like an overview of how Zoom works and how to be ready to participate in our virtual classes that will occur between Oct. 5 and Dec.11.
A new brochure will be sent in December, after we assess the success of our virtual classes this fall and continue to monitor our local COVID-19 cases and guidelines. We will register for spring semester at that time.
Since 1982, the Roberta Kuhn Center (RKC) at Mount Carmel in Dubuque, Iowa, has been a gathering place that provides enrichment and socialization for women and men 55 years of age or over. This opportunity for older adults is a thank you to the citizens of the city and the surrounding area and fills a need in our community.
Our goals are:
- to create a warm, loving atmosphere in which all senior citizens of Dubuque and the surrounding area feel welcome;
- to provide enrichment to stimulate the mind, body, and spirit; and
- to strengthen attitudes that growing older means growing better.
Instructors & Courses
Our volunteer instructors include BVM sisters, other women religious, and many lay women and men. They bring their professional experiences in the fields of education, the arts, and healthcare and wellness to our classrooms.
Class offerings include a variety of subjects—from popular wellness options to hands-on art classes—as well as history, foreign languages, creative writing, and poetry.
Download the 2020–21 Registration Brochure.
Download the RKC Newsletter.
RKC’s namesake, Roberta Kuhn, BVM (Alberto) was president of the BVM congregation from 1967–72. She was a remarkable woman for a remarkable time. The congregation, founded in Philadelphia in 1833, moved to Dubuque in 1843 and anticipated its 150th Jubilee celebration with the establishment of the RKC in 1982. BVMs have ministered in the Dubuque area since 1843, providing and promoting all levels of education, from young children in Montessori school to retirees in the RKC.
For more information or to join our registration
brochure mailing list, contact:
Roberta Kuhn Center, Sisters of Charity, BVM
1100 Carmel Drive, Dubuque, Iowa 52003-7991
563-582-4155 | email@example.com